No mater how many incredibly scenic drives I experience around the world, there's always one…
I never hit the highway without an awesome road trip playlist.
We all know after a few hours in the car it can get a little dull traveling to your vacation destination.
Here’s a great way to add a little fun to the long ride. Create a playlist called the “History of Me” through music. A nostalgic journey of the music that defined you (this shouldn’t be anything you’re still proud of). With each song, tell the story of why that particular song mattered in all the wonderful, humiliating, growing pain years of your life. Think puberty or middle school.
Some ideas to get the memories flowing:
1. First record you bought with your own money.
2. Your first musician crush.
3. Your second musician crush.
4. The song you pretended to sing in front of all your adoring fans.
5. The song you thought you knew all the words but got it slightly wrong.
6. Your first dance-dance song.
7. Your first slow dance-love song.
8. A favorite song from the first album you bought.
9. Your favorite foreign language song.
10. The song you played when you got Dad’s car and had a full tank of gas.
11. The song you thought “he” or “she” would sing to you.
12. The song you roller skated to.
13. The song you used to sing at the top of your lungs in front of your parents that you didn’t know was completely sexual.
14. Your first break-up song.
15. A song that made and still makes your skin crawl.
16. A song everyone loved and you hated.
17. A song you pretended to like so that the cool kids would like you.
18. The song you hope nobody finds on your ipod.
You’ll get to know each other on a while new level. It’s an embarrassment of riches and you can laugh at each other’s music tastes when you didn’t know any better and get to know each other in a whole new way in the process.
Here’s a part of my list:
1. Love will Keep us Together, Captain and Tennille
2. Day Dream Believer, The Monkee’s
3. Da Do Ron Ron, Shawn Cassidy
4. You Light up My Life, Debbie Boone
5. Rock the Boat, Hues Corporation
The lyrics are “We’ve been sailing with a cargo full of love and devotion”
My 8 year old version “we’ve been sailing to Chicago on the Miami Ocean”
6. I Feel for You, Chaka Kahn
7. Heaven, Bryan Adams
8. Blinded by the Light, Manfred Man off of K-tel records Music Machine
9. Rock Me Amadeus, Falco —okay, I think I’ve embarrassed myself enough.
What would be on your ultimate road trip playlist? Share in the comments!